|Cooling a batch of sugar water in the sink|
|Bee Wagon loaded down|
|New Bee Workbench quite handy|
As soon as I started taking the wet frames out of the bags, quite a few bees materialized to take advantage of the sweetness. All sorts of uninvited guests also showed up to the party including a few wasps, flies and ants. After the wagon was loaded up with the supers and feeders I started inspecting the hives and immediately noticed a problem. The nuc that was dropped the other day had a large crack on one side (the back door I was wondering about). Fortunately there was an empty spare hive available to transfer those bees into even though their numbers were on the small side. They were not at all happy to be transferred again but it had to be done. For their patience I rewarded them with the biggest feeder we had.
|Gargoyle hive with new honey super and feeder|
Half way through the work I looked down and noticed I forgot to zip up my head net. All along my neck was completely exposed and bees could have flown right up into my headnet. Fortunately I was pretty gentle with the bees up until then and hadn't done anything to alert the hot hive yet. I quickly zipped the headnet snug. And then that little voice in your head keeps suggesting that one of the girls snuck in and was walking around on the inside of the headnet admiring the view from the inside. For a few minutes I was absolutely sure there was a bee in the headnet and would have bet money on it. It's really not a big deal because worst case scenario is you get stung once but still it's kind of a mental thing that noodles around in your mind while you're working.
Besides the weather cooperating, everything went off fairly smooth and the bees are feasting tonight after several days of being cooped up trying to stay dry in their hives.